Two resistances of 2 kΩ and 8 kΩ are joined in series, if a 10 V battery is connected across the ends of this combination, find the following quantities:
(a) The equivalent resistance of the series combination. 
(b) Current passing through each of the resistances. 
(c) The potential difference across each resistance. 

 Ans. [(a) 10 kΩ (b) 1 mA (c) 2 V, 8 V]



Data Given:


Resistance 1 = R₁ = 2 KΩ = 2 x10³ 

Resistance 2 = R₂ = 8 KΩ = 8 x10³ 

Voltage = V = 10 V


To Find:


(a) Equivalent Resistance = Rₑ = ?  

(b) Current passing through each resistance I = ? 

(c) Potential difference through resistance 1 V = ?
    Potential difference through resistance 2 V₂ = ?



Solution:


(a) Equivalent Resistance = Rₑ = ?  


In series combination

Equivalent Resistance = Rₑ = R₁ + R₂

by putting values 

Rₑ = 2 x10³  + 8 x10³ 

Rₑ = 10x10³  

Rₑ = 10 K  -----------------Ans.



(b) Current passing through each resistance I = ?

 
Current passing through each resistance has the same (equal) values in the series combination of resistors So,

I = I₁ = I₂

Now by using the formula

V = I R

or 

I`\frac{V}{Rₑ}`

I = `\frac{10 V}{10x10³ Ω}`

I =  10⁻³A

or

I = 1 mA -------------------Ans.2




(c) Potential difference through resistance 1 V = ?
    Potential difference through resistance 2 V₂ = ?

 
As the potential difference (voltage) is different depends on the value of the resistance 

So, the Potential difference (voltage) are across resistance 1 will be  

V = I R

by putting values

V = (1 x 10⁻³A) (2 x10³ Ω)

V = 2 x 10⁻³⁺³ V

V = 2 V -------------------Ans. 3



And the Potential difference (voltage) across the resistance 2 are 

V₂ = I R

by putting values

V₂ (1 x 10⁻³A) (8 x10³ Ω)

V₂ = 8 x 10⁻³⁺³ V

V₂ = 8 V -----------------Ans.4

************************************

************************************

Shortcut Links For 


1. Website for School and College Level Physics   
2. Website for School and College Level Mathematics  
3. Website for Single National Curriculum Pakistan - All Subjects Notes 

© 2020-21 Academic Skills and Knowledge (ASK    

Note:  Write me in the comments box below for any query and also Share this information with your class-fellows and friends.