A sheet of lead 5.0 mm thick reduces the intensity of a beam of γ-rays by a factor of 0.4. Find the half-value thickness of the lead sheet which will reduce the intensity to half of its initial value. (Ans : 3 .79 mm )



Given Data:


Thickness of the lead sheet = x₁ = 5 mm = 5 x10⁻³ m

Let the initial value of Intensity of the γ-rays = I

1st factor of Intensity of the γ-rays = I
 = 0.4 I

2nd factor of Intensity of the γ-rays = I₂ = `\1/2` I


To Find:

The thickness of the lead sheet = x₂ = ?



Solution:


We have the formula 

I = I₀ `\e^{µx₁}`

0.4 I₀ = I₀ `\e^{µx₁}`

or

0.4  = `\e^{µx₁}`

taking the natural logarithm (ln) on both sides we get 

Ln(0.4) = Ln `\e^{-µx₁}`

or

-0.916 = x₁ --------------(1)


Similarly 

I = I₀ `\e^{µx₂}`

0.5 I₀ = I₀ `\e^{µx₂}`

or

0.5  = `\e^{µx₂}`

taking the natural logarithm (ln) on both sides we get 

Ln (0.5) = Ln `\e^{-µx₂}`

or

-0.693 = x --------------(2)


Dividing Eqn (1) by (2)


`\frac {-0.916}{-0.693}` = `\frac {-µx₁}{-µx₂}`


or


1.3217 = `\frac {x₁}{x₂}`


or 


x = `\frac {x₁}{1.3217}`


putting the value of x


x = `\frac {5 x10⁻³ m}{1.3217}`


x = 3.87 x10⁻³ m 

x = 3.78 mm ------------Ans.



************************************

Shortcut Links For 


1. Website for School and College Level Physics   
2. Website for School and College Level Mathematics  
3. Website for Single National Curriculum Pakistan - All Subjects Notes 

© 2022-Onwards by Academic Skills and Knowledge (ASK    

Note:  Write me in the comment box below for any query and also Share this information with your class-fellows and friends.